Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Week 8

I forget what weeks I´m on... I´m going into my 9th week at the MTC, so yeah... HOW CRAZY IS THAT? Our district is trippin´that we only have a week left. As we were going to the temple this morning, the people leaving this week were loading up their suitcases and we were all like "Whoa, that´s us in a week!" I´m kinda nervous, but more excited. As much as I love the MTC, I´m starting to get too comfortable. I need to get out and get to work.

I´ve been sick the last week with a stupid cough. That´s what happens when three people in your district get sick and you´re in the same room as them 24/7. It´s quite annoying. Plus, I think if I´m going to get sick in Brasil, it should be something more exotic, sabe?

Some highlights of the last week:

-Elder Noble, an elder in my district, ate an apple in one bite. ONE BITE! Just shoved the whole thing in his mouth and bit down. It was pretty amazing. It took him like 10 minutes to chew it all up and he was drooling all over the place, but he did it none the less.

-Our district translated YMCA into Portuguese. And now, for your entertainment:
Jovem!
Não razão sentir triste
Disse jovem!
Levantar-se do chão
Disse jovem!
Tem um lugar que pode ir
não razão estar infeliz
uh uh uh uh uh!
É divertido ficar
ipsilon, eme, say, ah!
É divertido ficar
ipsilon, eme, say, ah!

Yeah, good fun. Next up, "I Believe I Can Fly"

-We went proselyting again!!!! And this time ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!We went to the Museu Indepencia, which is this big park thing, and it was great. And the reason it was great was because of one single experience. We had just gotten to the park and Sis Campbell and I were walking in the gates and headed off on a little side path. There was a woman and a guy walking together with their son riding his bike around. Then they sat on a bench in the shade, so we started talking to them. They were just kinda politely listening, but then the lady seemed more interested. We asked her if she wanted a Book of Mormon and she said she had no money. We told her it was free and she eagerly held her hand out! So we gave it to her and read her a couple parts (Moroni 10:4-5 and 3 Nephi), bore our testimonies and walked away. When we looked back, she was reading it! Then I said "You know, even if we don´t give out another Book of Mormon today, it´s okay, it was worth it. Maybe we were just supposed to talk to that one lady today" and oh my, the Spirit hit me SO HARD right then! I kinda stopped talking and looked at Sis Campbell, and she looked at me with wide eyes and asked "Did you feel that too?!" It was spectacular. The Spirit testified to us both that we needed to talk to that lady, that she needed to hear our message that day. It was amazing, and it was SOOO STRONG. Like one of the strongest feelings I´ve ever gotten. It was just... amazing. I´m so excited. I can´t wait to find people like that, and then actually get to TEACH them and see them grow and accept the gospel and see that light in their eyes grow brighter. That´s what I´m here to do. And it´s nice to have little reminders like that.

-Here´s a quote from one of the Elder´s in my district that I loved so I stole it and wrote it down. We were discussing goals for our district and which Christ-like attribute from Preach My Gospel we wanted to work on, and I thought this was beautiful:
"Virtue is the silent sword that CAN be seen and change the eyes and hearts of people forever. We are the light of the world, and what better attribute could we choose to reflect as examples than that of humility plus faith, which equal virtue" -Elder O´Connor

Wow, huh?

Well, that´s about it for this week. I have no idea when I´ll be able to send my next email, it might not be for a couple weeks, depending on when my next P-Day is, since next Tuesday I´ll be on a plane to RECIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So from now on, send mail to the Recife mission office, until I can post my address for wherever I´ll be... I don´t know how it all works, but I´ll let you know ASAP.

I love you all! Keep the Faith, and Keep it Strong!

~Sis Wilkinson

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Ashley...what a great story about handing out the B of M. I read your week 8 blog to my boys and they were entertained..especially about the Elder who put an apple in his mouth in just one bite! (Sometimes we forget that missionaries are REALLY just people too!)
    I will pass on the YMCA song to JP - I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it.
    We will write a longer letter to go to Recife, ok?
    Not sure what the rules are as far as reading posts on your site. I think it's great that they let you keep this and update.
    Take care!
    Christine Headley and fam

    ReplyDelete