Monday, July 5, 2010

Monday, July 5, 2010: Happy Independence Day!

This week was quite adventerous.


( And I would send pictures, but this LAN house is being weird and wont let me........ unfortunate, né?)

Well, we had a fun adventure with getting a mosquito net set up for Sis Lindsey, becasue she was being eaten ALIVE by the huge mosquitos here (Seriously over a half inch long!) We got creative and ended up duct taping PVC pipe to the four corners of her bed and draping this mosquito net over it. Now it looks like a camp-style princess bed, hahaha.

We also had an INCREDIBLY fun São João party with the ward. We even dressed up a little =D The members had a lot of fun dancing forró and square dancing, haha.

I also made some chocolate cookies this week... Seriously the BEST cookies I have ever made in my life. I dont know what I did, but the members and investigators we shared them with were quite happy =D

The work goes on. We were all set to have a baptism, Alexandre, this Sunday; we even made the cake... And he didnt come. It was kinda a mess... His girlfriend of 4 years had just broken up with him and basically he's super depressed and, even thought he believes its true and wants to be baptised... He just felt too sad to be baptised... Kinda frustrating, because he will feel a LOT better with the gospel in his life and the Holy Ghost to lift him up.

I've noticed that the greatest trials ALWAYS come before the greatest blessings. The time right before my mission was incredibly difficult, and I had a lot of doubts about my ability to serve a mission and if this was really the right thing and right place for me to be. That is because satan KNOWS what blessing are in store, and tries to deter us. But he does this in vain, and inadvertantly shoots himself in the foot, because in going through the trials that he throws at us, we draw closer to Christ become stronger and firmer in our testimony and in the gospel. Ultimately, even bad things work to the strengthening and building up of the kingdom of God.

I've seen this on the mission with almost every single investigator. They meet with us, and suddenly they are not on neutral ground anymore. They encounter trials, doubts, and then they either stay strong through reading the scriptures and praying and going to church and are baptised... or they succumb and fade away. This is one of the saddest things I've seen, because I KNOW if they just hold on a little longer and do these things, they will ultimately reach salvation. I have to have patience with people like Alexandre, who really are broken hearted and passing through a difficult time, and help them understand the light and the peace and the happiness and the HEALING that the gospel of Jesus Christ brings. I know this because that is exactly what I have found, especially here on the mission.

I had a special thought yesterday, being the 4th of July. We celebrate this day to remember the War of Independence, to remember the men that fought and died so that we may be free. Then I thought of a different war, one that we are all fighting, everyday. And I thought of the Man that died so that we may be free; free from sin and from saddness and all the things which afflict us here in our mortal state. We have the path given to us to follow straight to eternal life, but it's our choice whether we'll follow it or not. Ultimately, this is the reason I decided to serve a mission, and the reason I'm here doing it. I want to help others find that path, and find the peace and healing that goes along with it.

I can't believe I only have 2 weeks left. Time goes by WAY too quickly.

That's about all for this week... I'll see you all pretty soon ;)

Stay strong! I love you all!

~Sister Wilkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment