Thursday, July 23, 2009

June 29 Vem Brincar em Caruaru! A Tradicão do Melhor São João!









(that little diddy has been playing non-stop on every radio station for the past month, I swear)

Oi família! Bem-vindo a Sister Wilkinson News!

So first off this week... Michael Jackson died?! What I can´t believe is that I heard about it the day after it happened—sooner than II heard about that plane crash that happened right outside Recife. Ridículo! I was talking to a guy on the bus and he asked me what I thought of Michael Jackson´s death, and I said “...Michael Jackson? ...He died?!â€� and that guy looked at me strangely and said he thinks I´m the only person in the world who didn´t know, haha.

This week was São João!!!! Tuesday night everyone lit big bonfires in the street outside their houses and set off fireworks and firecrackers and all other sorts of things that would violate every fire code in the USA. It was great =]

We didn´t have a baptism this week because Leuriane drank coffee. But we´re still working with her and she´s still great! This weekend we have the wedding and baptism of our amazing family. I´m excited =] Expect pictures next time!

So something we had for lunch Thursday didn´t sit well with Sis. Jacobs. We both felt a little ill Thursday night/Friday morning, but my body has grown used to that and was fine. Sis Jacobs got worse and worse though, and when we got home at about 5 pm she fell in bed and slept for 3 hours. Then we took her temperature: 103 degrees! She took some meds, rested a bit more, and we took it again. The same. Plus she had a horrible headache. So we called some ward members and they gave her a blessing and we were off to the hospital, where Sis Jacobs was hooked up to na IV for 4 hours and they did a blood test. We left around 2 am. Saturday Sis Jacobs slept almost all day... she was so weak she could barely sit up to take her drugs, poor thing.

Sunday we managed to go to church. And guess what? As I innocently went to get some water during Sunday School, the first counselor in the Bishopric asked me if I would give a talk in Sacrament... That day (we have it last). So I had twenty minutes to prepare a 10-15 minute talk IN PORTUGUESE! AH! I talked about faith, since I talk about that in almost every lesson, so it was easier. Sis Jacobs said I said a few odd words, but overall it went really well and people understood me, huzzah!

An investigator the other day told me he liked my accent, w00t! I´ve wondered how I sound accent-wise. I hope its a pretty accent like a British or Indian accent is in English, ya know? Sis Jacobs says she likes the American accent.

So we have an Assemblia de Deus church across the street from our house. It´s a lot like a Southern Baptist or Born Again Christian church in that the preacher yells a lot and hits people to cure them and they have a rock band (which practices the same song for four hours straight, ugh! Give it up buddy! You´re not getting any better!) Last night was crazy. Brasil won the Confederate Cup (against the US in the finals!) and everyone was in the street yelling and setting off fireworks and the preacher across the street was singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic—Rock version... I seriously half expected to look out my window and see troops of Union soldiers marching down the street. We were trying to study our scriptures and Sis Jacobs was hilarious. She went off for about 10 minutes along the lines of: “Ugh! Kill me!â€� “We have a right proper BABYLON outside our house!â€� “It´s hard to have the gift of tongues with all this NOISE!â€� and, my favorite, in response to the preacher singing, “Hallelulah my BUTT!â€�, hahahaha.

Ok, pictures!
1) Me and my team. We kicked butt. No one died the whole time we played.
2 & 3) some action shots!
4) Lookin all cool
5) Poor Sis Hodson got shot at close range.
6) Everybody that played.

k. love you familia, keep me updated!

~Sis Wilkinson











No comments:

Post a Comment