Sunday, December 6, 2009

Mon, 30 Nov 2009 : It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....






Orrrrr not. Its definitely summer here, as its getting hotter every day. woohoo.

Thanksgiving was great--We actually had a turkey! It was fun to see some Elder friends again too and joke around with them in English, haha. I did miss the stuffing and the pumpkin pie, but hey, theres always next year, ne?

Well familia, its been a week. We switched apartments with the elders because we had the bigger apartment and less people. When we arrived at our new humble abode... well, lets just say that elders have been living there for about 3 years... and i dont think its been cleaned in that whole time. It was quite the cleaning spree. I dont think i've ever seen so many cobwebs and dust bunnies and just other dirty things. But its good because now i have a real bed with a much better mattress (I was sleeping on the floor on a mattress that basically was totally wrn out in the middle). Welcome to the mission/Brasil, ne?

Its also good because now my companion cant run off to the neighbors without me. Huzzah.

We had our interviews with President last Wednesday. I LOVE Presidente! I talked to him for about an hour--a lot about my companion but also about other, more spiritual things. Lifes a lot more fun when you can speak the language, haha. Then Sister Abrantes talked with him for another hour, then we talked to him tgether for about an hour. He basically told me that im here because im the most patient sister and he thinks i can handle her best. I was telling him im frustrated because our area is AMAZING and i want to WORK and she doesnt.... But its been better this week. The work is just taking off.

The first few weeks it was kinda slow... So we changed tactics and now we're inviting everyone to be baptised the first lesson. And amazingly, it works. We now have three baptisms marked for the 12th and all three of them have only been to church once and only had the first lesson. The Lord does amazing things when you're bold. Sis Lemos (my comp from Caruaru) and I were talking and we agreed that our job as a missionary is to "cry repentence and baptism". So thats what we're doing.

Went to the temple on Tuesday. First time all in Portuguese, but I understood everything. Hows that for being fluent??? It was sooooo amazing. And the best was being there with Sis Lemos too, who is my BEST friend here on the mission, and I think one of the better friends ive ever had. We just laugh and talk about such deep spiritual things together, its awesomse. Definitely a blessingthe Lord gave me to make up for this trying time...

We had 16 investigators in church yesterday... and we didnt bring a single one. The members are inviting everyone to church, to activities, to hear the lessons, its amazing! Thats the only way to do missionary work.

Moral of the story: INVITE YOUR FRIENDS TO HEAR THE MISSIONARIES. Even if you dont think they want to, or even if you dont want to feel like your being overbearing. Do it. You have the truth. Now make it known.

I know that this is the true gospel of Christ restored on the earth. I know we have a living prophet today, and that this church is guided by Jesus the Christ, our ressurrected Lord and Saviour. I know that it is only through Him that we really truly can become clean of sin and return to live with our Fahter in Heaven, and our families, forever. This is what makes me happy, even admist trials and hardships. i know that i can be better every day, and become more like Him. I love Him and I know He lives.

~Sis Wilkinson

Fotos:

1) View of Recife from our area
2) Our District at the temple: Sis Hernandes, Sis Abrantes, Sis Lemos, Eu, Elder Santos, Elder Shulze. Notice how I tower over everyone.
3) The Temple =]
4) Eu e Sis Lemos
5) I let a little girl play "hair dresser" with my hair at lunch one day--she was sooo excited because I have such straight hair, haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment