Monday, May 17, 2010

Thursday, 11 Feb 2010: Summertime... And the beginnings of Carnaval

We had transfers this week! I'm still in Carpina. My new comp is a "curto prazer", which means shes not really a missionary. Because we have an odd number of sisters right now and Pres detests doing trios, he asked a member girl to be my comp. Her name is Roziane and I like her so far... shes kinda quiet, but i'm sure thatll change soon =]

This week was fairly uneventful. Both Sis O and I were sick, like we've been almost all transfer. First I'm sick, then when i'm feeling better, she gets sick, then when she's feeling better, I get sick again. Bah! So last thursday we traveled way the freak out to Vicência to visit that one lady, Nininha, who keeps not going to church and being flaky. We marked an appointment with her FINALLY and I was determined to go, even though I wasnt feeling well. What ended up happening is that 1) she wasnt there and 2) I puked in the street. That was embarrassing, haha. But yeah, thankfully, there was a taxi guy driving by right then who was going to Carpina and he pulled over for us b/c he's seen up in Carpina a lot, so we got a nice ride back. That was definitely a prayer answered right there---I did NOT want to walk all the back to the town centre to get a car. I spent that whole day in bed and most the next one, then Sis O was sick Mon and Tuesday.

Yesterday was transfer/P-day and it was my buddy E. Whiting's birthday. B/c there were a ton of us in Recife for the transfer, we had a big group that went to lunch and played games in the chapel and got milkshakes--way fun!!!! But then we almost missed the last bus back to Carpina... Thankfully God loves us and once again answered our prayers. So we got home pretty late... And on the bus there were all these teenagers going to the Carnaval party here in Carpina. They were singing and drumming the overhead big and it was funny and extremely annoying at the same time.

Carnaval is officially next week, but it started last Sunday (with almost all the men in town dressing up like women and dancing in the street. I must say, i was impressed with a lot of the outfits). What's sad is Carnaval is HUGE here. The biggest Carnaval in the world, even bigger than Rio. But Christmas is like any other day. People act like... Oh, it's Christmas? I guess I'll put up some lights or something.... But Carnaval, holy cow. All the streets are decorated and there are parties every night (RIGHT outside our house... soooo loud and hard to sleep)

Also, MyLDSMail got switched over to a Google server and it's WAY better. It's basically Gmail. There might be a few kinks in the system. My address says it's ashley.wilkinson@myldsmail.net, but just keep sending emails to ashley.wilk@myldsmail.net until further notice (it just forwards it to this account)

And thats about it. I really want to work hard this transfer and really get some good work done. I want to step it up a notch and just really throw myself into the work. I decided that I'm done serving a mission. Now I'm just going to serve God.

Love you all. Stay strong. Jesus loves you.

Until Monday,

No comments:

Post a Comment